Mixed content refers to a combination of secure and non-secure resources on the same webpage. In an online course, this can cause elements to not display or to give an error message. In listening quizzes, for example, this may appear as a missing play bar.
Instructors and students may find they need to adjust browser settings to allow mixed content to load. Instructions are here for allowing mixed content to display in three of the most commonly used browsers. Your institution may already provide this information, as it is a common issue.
To view mixed content in: Google Chrome:
- Click the alert shield icon in the address bar.
- In the icon dialog box, click Load anyway.
- The site will reload.
- Upon returning to the page or link in question, the content will now be visible.
To view mixed content in Firefox:
- At the top of the page, to the left of the address bar, click the security icon to the left of the URL in the address bar. It may appear as a shield or lock.
- In the pop-up window that appears, click the down arrow next to "Options", and select Disable protection for now.
- The page will refresh and display any mixed content.
Submit a Support Request
Still need help? Submit a support ticket and a customer support specialist will be happy to assist you.
Opened a request already? Click here for an update.