How to Add a Norton Digital Learning Tool to a D2L Course
This article describes how to add a Norton digital learning tool links with LTI integration that provide single sign-on for students and automatic grade reporting to your Desire2Learn (D2L) LMS course.
Prerequisites: In order to add a Norton digital learning tool link that provides single sign-on for students and automatic grade reporting, you will need a Norton instructor account. If you do not have a Norton instructor account, please visit our Instructor Resources page or contact your Norton representative to request one.
a) Add a W. W. Norton external tool and create a link
- Login to your LMS with your instructor account and enter your course.
- Click the User or Course Admin tab, then click the External Learning Tools link in the “Site Resources” section
- Make sure that you are on the Manage External Learning Tool Links and NOT LTI Advantage. Click the New Link button. Give the link a descriptive name (e.g. W. W. Norton) and in the URL field, enter the URL provided by your Norton representative
- If you're using a product homepage, the URL will look like: https://ncia.wwnorton.com/productname-BOOKCODE, where productname is replaced with the name of the Norton tool and BOOKCODE is replaced with the code for the book you are using
- If you're adding a direct link to an activity, the URL will look like: https://ncia.wwnorton.com/NNNN, where NNNN is replaced by the Norton digital learning tool activity
- In the Key/Secret section, make sure:
- The Sign messages with key/secret box is checked.
- If your Norton contact has told you that we've worked with your campus IT department to enable integration, select the Tool consumer key/secret radio button.
- If you're not sure whether we've worked with your campus IT department, select the Link key/secret radio button and enter the key and secret below:
- Key: (copy and paste the Consumer Key provided by your Norton representative, which will look like "yourschooledu")
- Secret: (copy and paste the Secret provided by your Norton representative, which will be a random 10 character code)
- In Security Settings section, make sure the “Use link security settings” radio button is selected and the following checkboxes are checked:
- Send tool consumer information to tool provider
- Send context information to tool provider
- Send course information to tool provider
- Send LTI user ID and LTI role list to tool provider
Send user name to tool provider
- Send user email to tool provider
- Send system username to tool provider
- Send system Org Defined ID to tool provider
- Send system role to tool provider
- Send link title to tool provider
- Send link description to tool provider
(Remaining boxes can be ignored)
- Click Save and Close.
- In the Materials menu or the toolbar of your course, choose Content.
- In the desired module, click on Add Existing Activities and choose External Learning Tools
- Select W. W. Norton from the pop-up window and the item will be added to your course.
- Click the drop-down menu next to the W. W. Norton link and select Edit Properties In-place.
- Make sure the Open as External Resource checkbox is checked. This change will be auto-saved.
- Open the module containing the link you just created and click the W. W. Norton link, which will launch the Norton digital learning tool in a new browser tab.
- You'll be prompted to sign in or register. If you have a Norton account, please use the associated email address and password to sign in. Otherwise, use the "No, I need to register…" option and register using your school email address.
NOTE: The first time you access a Norton digital learning tool from your course, you 'll be prompted to create a new student set, or copy an existing student set. For instructions on creating and managing student sets, please see our Creating and Managing Student Sets page.
- Once you’ve logged in with your Norton account, you will land on the Norton product homepage or specific activity for the book you're using. You should see a green “Connected to LMS” badge and the new Student Set ID associated with your course in the dropdown menu at right.
- If you’re using Smartwork5 or ZAPS individual activity links, the “Connected to LMS” notification appears in the user options menu which you will see by clicking your username in the upper-right corner of the activity page.
After successfully signing in, close the tab with the Norton tool page. In the future, to access the tool, always use the link from your course, and you will be automatically signed in. You can confirm this by looking for your school email address in the upper right of the tool's web page.
b) Test tool integration
- From your D2L course, switch to student view (using your D2L account menu in the upper right and selecting View as Student) or log in to a test student account.
- Locate the link to the Norton tool (e.g. W. W. Norton) and click it.
- The Norton product launch page or specific activity for the book you're using will open in a new browser tab. You will be prompted to sign in because you're opening the tool as a student. However, you can still use your Norton instructor account to sign in.
- On the Norton product page, confirm that you see a green badge labeled "Connected to LMS". If instead you see a red "LMS CONNECTION NOT MADE" badge, skip to "Reporting error messages" below.
- If you’re using Smartwork5 or ZAPS individual activity links, the “Connected to LMS” notification appears in the user options menu which you will see by clicking your username in the upper-right corner of the activity page./li>
- If you do not see “Connected to LMS” in the user options menu, skip to “Reporting error messages” below.<
- If you’ve added a gradable activity (such as InQuizitive, Smartwork5, or ZAPS), click anywhere in the Connected to LMS badge (or the “Connected to LMS” user options menu entry for a Smartwork5 or ZAPS activity page) and an explanatory box will appear over the page.
- If you see a red "X" next to "Single sign-in" or "Automatic grade transfer," skip to "Reporting error messages" below.
- If you see a yellow "?" and the message, “At least one parameter needed for…” close the Norton product tab in your browser and reconfirm that you launched the link from your LMS in Student View or are using a student account.
- If you did not add a gradable activity (e.g. if you added an ebook), continue to (d) Next steps.
- Click on the green checkmark icon next to Automatic grade transfer, then click OK in the confirmation message pop-up window to send a grade.
- Confirm that a "Test Successful" message appeared below Automatic Grade Transfer.
- Switch back to the browser tab with your course and verify the grade of 10% appears for the Norton activity in the student's My Grades page in your LMS.
- If you did not see a "Test Successful" message, or the grade did not appear in the student's grades, skip to "Reporting error messages" below.
- Close the browser tab with the Norton product page.
- You should now exit student view or log out of the student account. The link is ready for use by your students. See "Next steps," below, for additional instructor suggestions.
c) Next steps
- By default, D2L creates a column in your grade-book for any Norton digital learning tool when the first grade is sent (which you will have done in "Test tool integration," above). The default point value for the item is 100. Take a moment to review the points and other settings for this grade by using the Grades link in D2L, then clicking Manage Grades.
- Tick the box next to the Norton item, then click Edit. Review the settings and click Save if you make any changes.
NOTE: After the first successful grade transfer test, it is not necessary to test all additional links you create for integration. However, in order to edit the point value, weighting, or grouping settings of the Norton tool in the grade-book, you will need to perform the grade transfer test first for each item whose settings you'd like to edit in order for a corresponding Norton tool column to populate the grade-book
- If you would like to set GAUs for your Norton activities, click the Norton tool link in your course. Then:
- If you have linked to a Norton product homepage, click [set] next to the activity whose GAU you’d like to set from the list of activities.
- If you have linked to an individual activity, click your Norton username in the upper-right of the page, then click Activity Settings from the menu.
- If you have linked to an individual Smartwork5 activity, click the “Edit Assignment” button located below the activity’s title.
- Click the empty field next to “Grades Accepted Until” and select the desired date from the calendar.
- By default, the GAU time is set to 11:59pm of the date you selected. To change the GAU time, click the dropdown menu containing the time and select a new time. Be sure to choose your time zone in the next dropdown menu as well!
- Click Save Settings at the bottom of the page when you’re done.
- The GAU for this activity is now set and you will receive notifications should a student attempt to submit a grade for this activity after the GAU has lapsed.
For even more tips on configuring Norton digital learning tool links in your course, check out our Instructor Help Notes.
General D2L documentation on copying courses can be found at: https://documentation.desire2learn.com/en%20/copying-course-components-between-org-units
d) Reporting error messages
Copy the text from any error message box and/or take a screenshot and send it to W. W. Norton LTI Support, LTIsupport@wwnorton.com. You will then be contacted by a support specialist who will assist you with further troubleshooting.