How to Add a Norton Digital Learning Tool to a Moodle Course
This article describes how to add a Norton digital learning tool links with LTI integration that provide single sign-on for students and automatic grade reporting to your Moodle LMS course.
Prerequisites: In order to add a Norton digital learning tool link that provides single sign-on for students and automatic grade reporting, you will need a Norton instructor account. If you do not have a Norton instructor account, please visit our Instructor Resources page, or contact your Norton representative to request one.
a) Add a W. W. Norton external tool link to your course
- Login to your LMS with your instructor account and enter your course.
- Click the Turn editing on button.
- In the topic of your choice, click on Add an activity or resource.
- Select External Tool and click Add. If you are given a choice between general and commercial content, choose general tool.
- Give the activity a descriptive name (e.g. WW Norton).
- Leave External Tool Type set to Automatic, based on Launch URL.
- In the Launch URL field, enter the URL provided by your Norton representative.
- If you're using a product homepage, the URL will look like: https://ncia.wwnorton.com/productname-BOOKCODE, where productname is replaced with the name of the Norton tool and BOOKCODE is replaced with the code for the book you are using.
- If you're adding a direct link to an activity, the URL will look like: https://ncia.wwnorton.com/NNNN, where NNNN is replaced by the Norton digital learning tool activity.
Note: Ignore the "Tool configuration not found for this URL" message if shown.
- If your Norton contact has told you that we've worked with your campus IT department to enable integration campus-wide, then you can skip to step 12 below
- Change Launch container to New Window
- Click Show more…
- Fill in the following fields:
- Consumer Key: (copy and paste the Consumer Key provided by your Norton representative, which will look like "yourschooledu")
- Shared Secret: (copy and paste the Secret provided by your Norton representative, which will be a random 10 character code)
- Expand the Privacy section and make sure the Accept grades from the tool checkbox is checked. The other boxes do not need to be checked
Note: If it exists, expand the Grade section and configure the Norton tool to be worth some non-zero number of points, such as "10".
- Expand the Common module settings and make sure the Visible drop-down menu is set to Show.
- Click Save and return to course.
- Click the Turn editing off button.
- Click the link you just created, which will launch the Norton digital learning tool in a new browser tab.
- You'll be prompted to sign in or register. If you have a Norton account, please use the associated email address and password to sign in. Otherwise, use the "No, I need to register…" option and register using your school email address.
- After successfully signing in or registering, close the tab containing the Norton tool page.
NOTE: The first time you access a Norton digital learning tool from your course, you 'll be prompted to create a new student set, or copy an existing student set. For instructions on creating and managing student sets, please see our Creating and Managing Student Sets page.
- Once you’ve logged in with your Norton account, you will land on the Norton product homepage or specific activity for the book you're using (product homepage pictured). You should see a green “Connected to LMS” badge and the new Student Set ID associated with your course in the dropdown menu at right.
- If you’re using Smartwork5 or ZAPS individual activity links, the “Connected to LMS” notification appears in the user options menu which you will see by clicking your username in the upper-right corner of the activity page.
- After signing in, close the tab with the Norton digital learning tool page.
IMPORTANT: In the future, to access any Norton digital learning tool, always use the link from your course, and you will be automatically signed in. You can confirm this by looking for your school email address in the upper right of the Norton tool page:
b) Test tool integration
- From your Moodle course, switch to student view by navigating to the Administration menu, opening the Switch role to… heading, then clicking Student.
- Alternatively, you can access Student View by logging in to a test student account.
- Locate the link to the Norton tool (e.g. WW Norton) and click it.
- The Norton product launch page or specific activity for the book you're using will open in a new browser tab. You will be prompted to sign in because you're opening the tool as a student. However, you can still use your Norton instructor account to sign in.
- On the Norton product page, confirm that you see a green badge labeled "Connected to LMS". If instead you see a red "LMS CONNECTION NOT MADE" badge, skip to "Reporting error messages" below.
- If you do not see “Connected to LMS” in the user options menu, skip to “Reporting error messages” below.
- If you’ve added a gradable activity (such as InQuizitive, Smartwork5, or ZAPS), click anywhere in the Connected to LMS badge (or the “Connected to LMS” user options menu entry for a Smartwork5 or ZAPS activity page) and an explanatory box will appear over the page.
- If you did not add a gradable activity (such as an ebook), continue to "(c) Next steps".
- If you see a red "X" next to "Single sign-in" or "Automatic grade transfer," skip to "Reporting error messages" below.
- If you see a yellow "?" and the message, “At least one parameter needed for…” close the Norton product tab in your browser and reconfirm that you launched the link from your LMS in Student View or are using a student account.
- Click on the green checkmark icon next to Automatic grade transfer, then click OK in the confirmation message pop-up window to send a grade.
- Confirm that a "Test Successful" message appeared below Automatic Grade Transfer.
- Switch back to the browser tab with your course and verify the grade of 10% appears for the Norton activity in the student's Grades page in your LMS.
- If you did not see a "Test Successful" message, or the grade did not appear in the student's grades, skip to "Reporting error messages" below.
- Close the browser tab with the Norton product page.
You should now exit student view or log out of the student account. The link is ready for use by your students. See "Next steps," below, for additional instructor suggestions.
c) Next steps
- By default, Moodle creates a column in your course grade book for any gradable Norton tool whenever you create an external tool assignment.
- If you're not using the Norton product launch page, but rather adding multiple tool activities directly to your course, repeat steps 1-29 above as needed for each activity's URL.
NOTE: Versions of Moodle before v2.8.2 do not allow you to change the point value for an external tool link's corresponding grade in the grade book; its value is fixed at 100 points. As a workaround, we suggest you adjust the weighting of the grade in the Moodle grade book configurations. Please visit https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Using_'Weighted_mean_of_grades' or contact your campus's IT administrator for details on how to do this.
- If you would like to set GAUs for your Norton activities, click the Norton tool link in your course. Then:
- If you have linked to a Norton product homepage, click [set] next to the activity whose GAU you’d like to set from the list of activities.
- If you have linked to an individual activity, click your Norton username in the upper-right of the page, then click Activity Settings from the menu.
- If you have linked to an individual Smartwork5 activity, click the “Edit Assignment” button located below the activity’s title.
- Click the empty field next to “Grades Accepted Until” and select the desired date from the calendar.
- By default, the GAU time is set to 11:59pm of the date you selected. To change the GAU time, click the dropdown menu containing the time and select a new time. Be sure to choose your time zone in the next dropdown menu as well!
- Click Save Settings at the bottom of the page when you’re done.
- The GAU for this activity is now set and you will receive notifications should a student attempt to submit a grade for this activity after the GAU has lapsed
For even more tips on configuring Norton digital learning tool links in your course, check out our Instructor Help Notes.
d) Reporting error messages
Copy the text from any error message box and/or take a screenshot and send it to Leonardo Cioglia (email@example.com), LMS Integration Specialist, who will contact you to assist with further troubleshooting.